By leading a food drive benefiting the College Park Community Food Bank, you, and each participant, will make an impact on the lives of our neighbors. Here is some helpful info for planning your food drive:
What do we accept?
- Clean, non-dented canned & boxed food items, not past their expiration date.
- Canned Fruit (in juice or light syrup)
- Canned Veggies (no salt added or low sodium)
- Peanut Butter
- Pasta Sauce
As a food drive organizer, here’s a few steps to follow:
- If needed, get approval from your company, school or religious group to hold your food drive.
- Advertise your event via email, flyers, announcements, memos – whatever works for your group. Use our sample flyer if you'd like. Let people know where and when they can donate. Then place clearly labeled boxes or bins in those locations.
- Set a deadline for collections and remind people when it’s approaching. This will help motivate people to submit their donations. Challenges are also useful – offer a goal of a certain number of items, participants or pounds collected.
- Take a picture! (if you want) We love to see the faces that help make all of this possible.
- Drop-off your collections. Complete this Donation Form to get drop-off instructions. Get help from a colleague or friend to pack your car with your donations and drop them off.
Food Drive FAQs
- What’s the best time of year to host a food drive?
Anytime! We need help stocking our pantry year round.
- What if I receive a monetary donation during the drive?
Fantastic! Try to collect the name and mailing address of those donors so we can send them a tax receipt for their contributions.
Please, contact us!
Conducting a food drive is a fun, simple and important way to support the food bank. Go for it!